Our Little World

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Waiting and Waiting.....

Paige was so happy to be able to go home today. She woke up at 3am and wanted to start packing. She even told me that she would wait in the car while I finished packing. I finally convinced her that it wasn't bright enough yet, it was still time to sleep. Around 6am she woke up again and insisted this time that I started packing. She would not take no for an answer. The nephrologist doing the rounds just came on today. He was a little hesitant to discharge her just yet. When he saw our bags all packed he agreed to, his compromise was for us to have an appt with our family doctor Monday morning with blood work- Mon, Wed, and Friday. Great, I started hauling our belongings to the car. I had the second load ready to go, then he noticed that her Potassium was a little high so he wanted it checked again, but intravenously instead of a finger prick. When it was re-checked it was even higher, too high. A stat EKG was ordered, luckily everything looked okay. I didn't know this before until now, when your potassium gets too high it can make your heart stop, for no reason at all without any warning. Needless to say the nephrologist hasn't discharged us yet. They gave her a diuretic to try to pull some of the potassium out, and lower her level. We have blood work again at 5pm. As of now we are passing time and waiting.......

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh, I am so sorry. At the same time though, it is great to hear Paige is doing so much better. I'm sure you'll be home before you know it.

Emilee said...

Hang in there! I can't even imagine the roller coaster you've been on these past few months, but you have such a great attitude. Our thoughts & prayers are continually with you. We love you!