Our Little World

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ho-Hum

Today was Violet's birthday. It's hard to believe that she is now 3. I didn't tell her. I want(ed) to give her a really good b-day. Her past b-days (even her very birth day) there has been a lot of things taking the spot light from her. Mainly Paige relapses and the move to Virginia. So this year I want to give her the floor for her big day, even if it is a week delayed. (She's 3 she won't know it's past her big day, right!?) Her, grandma Turner, Teigan and Aunt Kathy came to visit for a few hours. It was fun to see the kids, I miss them.
With Paige it was a day of mixed feelings. There are a few things that was bringing us progress that the new dr. doing rounds changed. When they were changed so did Paige's progress. The past two days she has started swelling again on top of the edema that was already there. There are a lot of details involved, but I'll try to sum it up in a nutshell, even skip a few and get to my biggest concerns. He increased her steroids from 20mg per day to 300mg, (I know it's only supposed to be temporarily, but 300?). I felt a thud in my stomach when this happened. The Cytoxin med that she is on is very strong and toxic, so you need to drink lots of fluid to keep the toxins to a minimal. With her not urinating, retaining more fluid, those toxins are building in her body. Then to add the increased volume of steroids, I was too sick to not say anything. I asked the nurse if we could call Dr. Grimsell for a second opinion with all these changes, unfortunately there are too many logistics involved to approach it that way. Instead a "quality meeting" is scheduled tomorrow for me, a quality leader, dr(s) and nurse(s) will meet and discuss the furthering of Paige's medical care. I know that I don't have my M.D. but my mother's intuition is not feeling good about this.

4 comments:

Us said...

Oh Vanae, I am so sorry to hear about all of this. If there is anything I can do, let me know. I will you keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Elisa

Kathleen said...

Never feel bad about wanting a second opinion. You just want what is best for your daughter. No one can argue that.
Let me help you with a birthday party for Violet. I love planning birthdays (if you couldn't tell). Just let me know when and what theme you want or what she is into. You are stressed enough. I can totally take care of that for you. I promise she will feel special and have the floor for her big day. I have Satuday, the 13th off, or some various weekdays if you want it during the week. I will call you about this.

Briannia said...

Oh,Vanae I'm so sorry, is there anything I can do? Anything you need? Please call if there is. Keep us updated on how she is doing and we will keep praying.
Briannia

Kathleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.