Our Little World

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Where Have The Turners Been?

If any of you might have wondered that the past couple of weeks, (or maybe not) I'll tell you. We have been working very hard at meeting our family deductible with our insurance plan. No worries, we only had 34 days left of the year and We Did It!! One baby delivery, one surgery and one in patient hospital stay, we have reached our goal. (Okay, so right now you are probably wondering why the sarcasm. It's my coping method, that and chocolate.)
Friday Paige and I drove down to SlC to Primary Children's for a hospital stay. She is taking this admittance pretty well. In the Virginia hospital they had (moderately) low sodium chicken strips, which Paige fell in love with at first taste. So when I sat down with her and had "the talk" about going to the hospital, her reply was, "do they have orange crunchy chicken there?" To our great appreciation they have chicken nuggets that they were able to specially arrange for her to have. A thousand Thank You's. (Can you tell that we aren't able to have quick fix it food at our house due to the sodium? Is this a sign of feeling deprived? The whole willingly going to the hospital, all for deep fried over processed chicken?)
All in all everything has been going smoothly. Paige is happy as long as she gets a few orange crunchy chickens with her meal. Aaron's parents have helped out with Violet and Teigan. (Much Thanks). It sounds like Violet is enjoying having Grandma to herself and has been helping her make the annual Turner home-made holiday chocolates. Teign has adjusted reasonably well, or so I hope. His little life-line is a sippy cup instead of mom temporarily. Today Aaron and Teigan came to visit us, it made me feel good to see him happy to see me. Aaron was happy to see me too.
The Nephrologist that has been tending to Paige is new to this hospital. I really appreciate him. So far out of all that has ever tended Paige, this one I like the most. He listens to me, communicates very openly with this over the top mom and answers all of my questions thoroughly. Right now we are working on a regimen that will hopefully pull Paige out of this relapse, but Paige is a tough little cookie to fully respond. He is optimistic and so am I. But even after reading her history I just don't know if he is really aware of how difficult of a case she really is, or me to add in to the mix as well. But I do have faith in him and appreciate his openness, willingness to listen to me and isn't afraid to tell me what he thinks kindly. I say we have a winner.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Good luck, thinking of you guys!

Shannon said...

VaNae,

This is Shannon--Janell's sister. I saw your comment on Janell's blog and wanted to come and say hi and to wish you guys well! I know that a hospital is the last place you want to be right now with little Paige (she is a doll--all three of your kiddos are adorable). I am so thankful that you 'happened' to run into my sis there, though. It was a tender mercy and an answered prayer...Janell loves you and looks up to you so much. Thank you so much for being such a good friend to her. She is blessed to know you, and so is our family. Good luck with Paige, I hope that all goes well, and that Paige gets all the chicken nuggets that her little heart desires :).